Just as Google is a giant among search engines, so is Twitter among social media marketing sites. According to PCMag.com, Twitter boasts an impressive 974 million users. Even so, many businesses attempting to leverage the incredible marketing potential offered by Twitter often make critical mistakes. Such mistakes not only decrease the reach and efficiency of a business’s marketing efforts but also do not allow them to realize the true profit potential that can be achieved by mastering Twitter marketing.
A recent survey published by Social Media Marketing University found that an astounding 96.2% of companies experience challenges in accomplishing specific goals with Twitter marketing. Despite these challenges, the survey concluded that almost 65% of companies still believe Twitter to be an effective tool for marketing.
Measure Your ROI
According to Ragan.com, there are several components involved in measuring social media marketing ROI. The key; however, is understanding what each of those elements actually means. For instances, “follows” are obviously important, but what do they mean for your brand? Engagement. The more follows your brand has, the more potentially active and engaged your total customer base could be. Using tools such as GroSocial and Brandwatch can assist you in measuring the success of specific hashtags and keywords.
Use The Right Twitter Voice
According to Mashable.com, social networks such as Twitter act as a platform for personal connection and dialogue. Brands that are unfamiliar with interacting with customers and clients in conversational tones may find this platform to be challenging. Effective Twitter marketing communications requires understanding how to develop the right message for the right consumer target and distributing it through the proper channels. With Twitter, message development is a critical element of success that business owners cannot ignore. What can companies do to develop the right social media voice? Marketing Land reports there are three crucial C’s necessary for a brand to develop a successful social media voice: culture, community, and conversation. The following steps can help you to implement those important elements to create a voice that will resonate with your target audience on Twitter.
1. Identify what makes your business unique and different from the competition. Allow your company’s personality to shape and inspire your social media voice.
2. Stop talking so much about your company and take the time to listen to your audience. Discover their concerns and problems. Learn what it is that your audience wants from you.
3. Ask yourself what it is that you bring to the social media table. It could be industry updates, product promotions, and inspiration or motivation. Whatever it is, identify it and then disseminate it with authenticity and your own unique personality.
There is no denying that the 140-character limit imposed by Twitter can make it incredibly difficult to communicate marketing messages in an effective manner to targeted consumers. Even so, it is necessary. Those companies who master it have a significant advantage over competitors who do not. The following tips can help you to write more with less and still tap into the power of Twitter: 1. Shorten your words, condense your ideas, and ensure that your message sticks to the heart of what you want to say. 2. If your idea cannot be expressed in 140 characters or less, consider writing two tweets, but only do so if it is absolutely necessary. 3. Write a blog post and then add a link to it for more detailed information.
Target The Right Users
It is well known that one of the easiest ways to increase your number of followers on Twitter is to follow other people. Yet, at the same time, it is important to make certain that you are following the right Twitter users who can increase your exposure, boost your reputation, and improve the effectiveness of your marketing efforts. Locating those users who are most likely to benefit your marketing efforts is not always easy, but these steps can help:
1. Ensure your presence on Twitter is visible by linking to your Twitter account from LinkedIn, Facebook, your blog, email signatures, etc.
2. Keep your tweets on topic and focus on adding real value.
3. Use themed hashtags to ensure new followers find you.
4. Use searches and hashtags to develop a strategic plan for following new people.
Develop An Effective Campaign
What is it that you hope to accomplish through marketing on Twitter? For most companies, the ultimate answer is to increase profits, but there could be many different ways of going about it. Do you wish to create a direct path to customer purchase? Are you interested in creating buzz about a new product? Whatever it is, the following steps can help you to accomplish your goals:
1. Establish objectives. Determine what it is that you want to get out of your Twitter campaign.
2. Identify a topic that is meaningful. Ensure the topic you use is meaningful and relevant to your target audience, as well as consistent with your company’s brand positioning.
3. Select a hashtag that is compelling, catchy, short, and relevant.
4. Consider partnering with other Twitter users for greater exposure. Ensure the partners you choose are relevant and complementary to your business, but not competitors.
5. Offer incentives. Contests and giveaways provide incentives for followers to become engaged in your campaign.
Although it may be challenging to develop an effective marketing campaign on Twitter, the exposure and rewards are certainly well worth the effort for businesses of all sizes and from all sectors.
Reginald Chan says
Great article and thanks for sharing. Using hashtags, remember to use them! Powerful and super effective — seriously, can’t agree more!
Keep up the good job and coming back for more. Shared on Triberr too 🙂
Jon Saxton says
Great post! The campaign tip is especially good. We see too many companies running out of ideas and resorting to tired self-promotion because they don’t have dedicated topics to elaborate on.